- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- dash ginger, if desired
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Egg
- dash sea salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup xylitol or coconut sugar
- 3 to 4 oz good baking chocolate (I used unsweetened 100% cacao Ghirardelli)
- 2 T Butter (organic, preferably)
Heat oven to 400 degrees.
Melt chocolate and butter over hot water.
In bowl, mix buckwheat flour, baking powder, sweetener and spices. Add almond milk, egg, and salt and mix well. Mix in chocolate mixture and stir well. Divide into 12 cupcake paper liners or a sprayed loaf pan. Cook cupcakes for about 10 minutes or loaf pan for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.
Note: spices are optional
Also, for additional yumminess, cook muffins 5 minutes and then put a chunk of chocolate in center and continue to bake.
I’ve made this cake before and it’s awesome. Would be a good Holiday cake. This recipe takes a long time to make, but it’s worth it.
Have all ingredients about 70 degrees. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Beat until light:
- 6 egg yolks (keep whites) from free-range chickens
- Add 3/4 cup ***xylitol gradually and beat until well blended.
Grind nuts in food processor:
- 3/4 cup finely chopped organic raw walnut meats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped organic raw pecans
Add rest of ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon organic almond meal (or almond flour)
- 2 tablespoons water, or coffee
- 1/4 cup grated unsweetened organic chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves (or a dash)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (or a dash)
Whip until stiff, but not dry:
Fold lightly into cake batter. Bake in ungreased 9-inch round removable-rim pan (spring form) about 1 hour. Let cool for about 10 minutes. (It helps to place greased parchment paper in bottom of pan to assist in removing cake. Spread warm cake with Chocolate Butter Icing below:
Chocolate Butter Icing: (makes about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup ***xylitol (pulverize in blender until it looks like powdered sugar)
- 4 oz. organic unsweetened chocolate (try to use 70% or more cacao)
- 4 oz. organic butter
- 1/4 cup cream OR coffee
- 1/8th teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt chocolate over very low heat. Add butter and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and add the cream OR coffee and salt. Gradually sift in the powered ***xylitol along with vanilla extract.
Ice the warm torte with a spatula dipped frequently in hot water for a glossy finish.
NOTES: You can get xylitol, organic chocolate, almond meal and coconut flour at any Health Food Store.
***Also, when using xylitol, please be aware that it is poisonous to dogs. Do not feed to animals. If you don’t want to use xylitol, coconut sugar is a good substitute.