I’ve made this cake before and it’s awesome. Would be a good Holiday cake. This recipe takes a long time to make, but it’s worth it.
Have all ingredients about 70 degrees. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Beat until light:
- 6 egg yolks (keep whites) from free-range chickens
- Add 3/4 cup ***xylitol gradually and beat until well blended.
Grind nuts in food processor:
- 3/4 cup finely chopped organic raw walnut meats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped organic raw pecans
Add rest of ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon organic almond meal (or almond flour)
- 2 tablespoons water, or coffee
- 1/4 cup grated unsweetened organic chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon double acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves (or a dash)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (or a dash)
Whip until stiff, but not dry:
- 6 egg whites
Fold lightly into cake batter. Bake in ungreased 9-inch round removable-rim pan (spring form) about 1 hour. Let cool for about 10 minutes. (It helps to place greased parchment paper in bottom of pan to assist in removing cake. Spread warm cake with Chocolate Butter Icing below:
Chocolate Butter Icing:(makes about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup ***xylitol (pulverize in blender until it looks like powdered sugar)
- 4 oz. organic unsweetened chocolate (try to use 70% or more cacao)
- 4 oz. organic butter
- 1/4 cup cream OR coffee
- 1/8th teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Melt chocolate over very low heat. Add butter and stir until melted.
Remove from heat and add the cream OR coffee and salt. Gradually sift in the powered ***xylitol along with vanilla extract.
Ice the warm torte with a spatula dipped frequently in hot water for a glossy finish.
NOTES: You can get xylitol, organic chocolate, almond meal and coconut flour at any Health Food Store.
***Also, when using xylitol, please be aware that it is poisonous to dogs. Do not feed to animals. If you don’t want to use xylitol, coconut sugar is a good substitute.