- Greens from 2 bunches beets
- 3T olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2T lemon juice
- 1/4 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 ripe tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c slivered almonds, toasted until golden
- salt and pepper to taste
Rinse greens several times thoroughly. Bring large pot salted water to boil. Add greens and blanch 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. With hands, squeeze out the excess liquid. Chop greens coarsely.
In large skillet, heat 2T olive oil. When hot, add the greens, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes or until greens are tender but still bright colored.
Transfer to bowl. In smaller bowl whisk lemon juice, salt, pepper and remaining 1T olive oil. Pour over greens and toss well. Add onion, tomato and almonds. Toss. Adjust seasonings to taste.