Organic Ingredients if possible (suggest Muir Glen tomato products)
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound organic ground beef or buffalo
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- hot water as needed
- 1 free-range egg
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Oil a deep 9×13 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin slices. Sprinkle slices lightly with salt; set aside to drain in a colander.
To prepare the meat sauce, cook and stir ground meat and black pepper in a large skillet over medium high heat for 5 minutes. Add in green pepper and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, wine, basil, and oregano, adding a small amount of hot water if sauce is too thick. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer sauce for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
Meanwhile, stir egg, ricotta, and parsley together in a bowl until well combined.
To assemble lasagna, spread 1/2 of the meat sauce into the bottom of prepared pan. Then layer 1/2 the zucchini slices, 1/2 the ricotta mixture, all of the spinach, followed by all of the mushrooms, then 1/2 the mozzarella cheese. Repeat by layering the remaining meat sauce, zucchini slices, ricotta mixture, and mozzarella. Spread Parmesan cheese evenly over the top; cover with foil.
Bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil; raise oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let stand for at least 5 minutes before serving.